I’m so tired of potions right now. And I’m tired of being useless and stuck in bed. I’m getting better, it doesn’t hurt as much and I can get up and walk around but I’m supposed to stay down for as long as I can stand it.
It’s getting hard to stand it.
But this morning… This morning I discovered something magical. And potentially illegal.
Ash comes in to check on me, and she asks what I want to eat. I’m not feeling too great, it hurts to sit up, I’m bored, I’m frustrated and I don’t have an appetite. Then she asks me if I want some Redridge Cakes.
I’m sorry, what?!
So here’s what I learned. You can have cake for breakfast. There is literally no one policing this. I need to add this to my list of shit to ask Drex about because — dayum.
So Redridge Mountain Cakes are also called like, pancakes which I guess makes sense cuz you get the ingredients from the pantry? I dunno. They’re also called Clapjacks. Cuz… cuz they make Jack — who is me — clap? I mean. Not literally, but if someone said “Hey aren’t these great? Don’t you feel like applauding?” I probably would.
They’re not hard to make, it’s pretty much all stuff you probably have in your kitchen. If you’re in a kitchen. If you’re out adventuring… Oh wait no! If you’re out adventuring mix the dry stuff beforehand and you can have Clapjacks whenever you want!
I am so smart.
- 1 1/2 cups flour (Ash said she used the wheat kind or something. I dunno, s’posed to be healthier)
- 3.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (white preferably, but like I said there are no laws, be a rebel and use brown sugar!)
- 1 1/4 cup milk (she used cow. Cuz Stormwind. If you use a richer milk like yak, make sure to skim some of the cream. Or not. Rebel!)
- 1 egg (medium sized, so chicken, water fowl, turkey etc)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Toppings of choice! We used:
- Cream cheese, softened and whipped (I hear you can buy pre-whipped cream cheese. Fancy!)
- Jam (we used sweetberry)
- Powdered sugar
- Seratoph says tree syrup is good. Gross
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. If you’re going to be travelling, you can double or triple the recipe and combine with the wet ingredients later
- Put all your dry stuff in a bowl and make like a little hole in it. Pour in the egg and melted butter and milk. Also if you don’t have milk when you’re travelling, you can use water.
- Mix it all up until kinda thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile, heat up a skillet. Once it’s roaring hot to the point where dripping water onto it makes it evaporate instantly, it’s ready to go
- Pour a half-ladle of batter into the skillet and let it cook. It will form bubbles at the top. Once the bubbles burst and the sides look kinda dry, flip it over and let it cook on the other side for a bit. It’ll kinda puff up.
- Remove to a plate, get the next one going and smear your fillings onto the hot cake. Continue until you’re out of batter.
I mentioned these to Daffyn and he said that you can even put stuff inside the cakes. He said berries, chocolate bits or even bacon!
How has no one told me about this?!